1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup wheat bran (or germ)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup natural cane sugar or light brown sugar
1 cup firmly packed Muscovado or dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 oz semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped and shaved into chunks and splinters
- Preheat the built in oven placed 30" from the floor to 350 degrees F with racks placed in the middle.
- Line two baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper and set aside.
- On a pull-out mid level work table and combine the oats, flour, wheat bran, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl found in the kitchen pull down shelves. Set aside.
- Using pop up mixer shelf cream the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in sugar,found in the Super Susan cabinet, for 3+ minutes, scraping down sides a few times along the way.
- Incorporate the eggs found in side by side refrigerator with slide out freezer drawer, one at a time, then the vanilla- scraping the sides of the bowl another time or two.
- Add the dry mixture, and stir until everything barely comes together. Then stir in the chocolate, from the pull out pantry, until it is evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- With a soft grip ice cream scoop, make uniform dough balls and arrange each cookie at least 3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- For extra crisp cookies, bake until deeply golden brown on the bottom for 15 minutes. Using a durable oven mitt, like OXO grey silicone oven mitt, to turn the pan once 2/3 of the way through baking.
- For chewier cookies bake for less time. Cool on rack.
- Makes about 2 dozen large cookies.
- After baking sheet has cooled, place all dirty dishes into a raised dishwasher for cleaning.